Hey all,

I have a two-part question that I'm really hoping someone can answer.

I have a multiple-select list that is populated from one table in my db. The
list is constructed in such a way that there are main categories that each
have their own subcategory. Some of those subcategories have their own
subcategories. The main categories are all in uppercase, and the
subcategories are indented, as appropriate, throughout the list.

I don't want users to be able to select every item--I want them to have to
select as far as they possibly can within the subcategories. So...

QUESTION 1: Is there a way to disable selection ability on certain items
within the select box (just don't allow it to be highlighted when clicked),
and if so, how?

QUESTION 2: How do I conditionally format the look of each of these menu
items within this one select list? I have been successful in conditionally
changing words to uppercase, or indenting, but I cannot get it to
conditionally bold a word, change the font size, add a line break, etc. I've
tried style sheets, but you have to actually specify the class in the <TD>
tag, which won't work. I need to be able to optionally format the <OPTION>
tags.

I know a DHTML menu or a javascript would be better--that way I could just
display the subcategories for selection as appropriate--but the customer
really likes being able to see every possible category and subcategory in
one box all at once.

Thanks in advance for any and all insights!

***By the way, like most, I am not receiving any CF-Talk mail. Could you
please cc me on all responses so I can get them immediately? Thanks!***

Terri