Terri,

Here's some code to handle your first question.  It disallows selection of any
item whose value begins with "xx".

Add this function to the <head> section:

function checkSelect(e) {
  // Disallow selection of items whose value begins "xx"
  for (var i=0; i < e.options.length; i++) {
    if (e.options[i].selected && e.options[i].value.substr(0,2) == "xx") {
       e.options[i].selected = false;
    }
  }
}

Note how the function is called, and the two values which begin "xx":

<select name="mySelect" multiple size="7" onchange="checkSelect(this)">
<option value="xxThomas">Thomas</option>
<option value="Edward">Edward</option>
<option value="xxGordon">Gordon</option>
<option value="Henry">Henry</option>
<option value="James">James</option>
<option value="Percy">Percy</option>
<option value="Toby">Toby</option>
</select>

Philosophically I am opposed to doing this, but I understand that requirements
trump philosophy.

-David