thanks Jochem, seems to be closer. weirdly though it doesn't work the
first time I run the cfm file, it only returns the correct response when I
try a second time.  Any ideas on why that is / how to correct ?
ta.
.jez

Cold Fusion wrote:

>> What we want to do is have the user click a link to a cfm file, that cfm
>> file then returns a file (for arguements sake a .xls file) which starts
>> download to the users machine (forcing download rather than returning to
>> browser).

There is no way to force a download in HTTP. You can only imply the
suggestion of a download by setting the type to
"application/octet-stream" in your cfcontent tag.

>> We've tried using CFCONTENT and setting the type to unknown, this will
>> start the file downloading all right but the name that appears in the
>> dialog boxes is the name of the orginal cfm file that was called rather
>> than the name of the actual file (i.e. saves as "download.cfm" rather
>than
>> "file2download.xls" )

To get the right filename add a cfheader:
<cfheader name="Content-Disposition" value="attachment;
filename=#chr(34)#fname.ext#chr(34)#">

Jochem