> Thanks for the response, but I am unclear on a few things:
>
> Apparently the GetHTTPRequestData() allows you to access an XML
> (SOAP) packet that has been sent to you in an HTTP header...
> eliminating the need for a form post.
>
> If I wanted to code both ends of this application to application
> transmission in CF 5:
>
>    how would the sender create the HTTP header to be sent to
> the receiver?
>
>    how would the sender send it to the receiver?
>
>    how would the receiver create a response header?  cfheader?
>
>    how would the receiver return the response?
>
> Are there any references or examples of doing both ends of
> this with CF?

When you use HTTP as a SOAP transport mechanism, the SOAP envelope is
typically placed not within an HTTP header, but within the body of an HTTP
POST request. Here's what that might look like:

POST /team/webcontrols/mathservice.asmx HTTP/1.0
SOAPAction: http://tempuri.org/Add
Host: www.fmexpense.com
Connection: Keep-Alive
Pragma: no-cache

<?xml version='1.0'?>
<SOAP-ENV:Envelope
xmlns:SOAP-ENV="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/envelope/";
xmlns:xsd="http://www.w3.org/1999/XMLSchema";>
        <SOAP-ENV:Body>
                <Add xmlns='http://tempuri.org/'>
                        <a xsi:type="xsd:int"
SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";>
                                5
                        </a>
                        <b xsi:type="xsd:int"
SOAP-ENV:encodingStyle="http://schemas.xmlsoap.org/soap/encoding/";>
                                3
                        </b>
                </Add>
        </SOAP-ENV:Body>
</SOAP-ENV:Envelope>

The problem with reading the body of the POST prior to CF 5 is that it's
expecting typical form variable encoding - name-value pairs.

For some incredibly oversimplified sample code, you might look here:
http://www.figleaf.com/figleafhome/cfug/2001/CFUGJun2001/jun2001.zip

This contains two SOAP topics covered at the June DC-CFUG, as well as some
other stuff. Next month, I'm doing a follow-up SOAP topic with more
worthwhile code samples.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496