<snip>
On the other hand, it is extremely difficult, if not impossible, to
"decompile" binary code.  As such, I feel that it is a better model for
"protection".  Rather than attempt to "hide" your code, you bypass your
source code altogether.  Not to mention the benefit that n-tier
development gives you.
<snip>

um... do a web search for decompilers.... there's plenty out there, most of
which generate assembly code from a binary file.  Some will go so far as to
create C or even VB code (not sure on the VB end) from a binary.  Therefore,
even using binary objects is no guarantee.  Yes, it becomes a little tougher
than a quick decryption routine. But it's still accessible.

My rule of thumb (from my days as a radio operator in the army) - if it's
electronic, it CAN be intercepted and interpreted. PERIOD.

So, my job as a programmer/network engineer is to make the
interception/interpretation process as tough as possible (within reason
considering what is being protected).  But there is NO way to prevent
someone from viewing code or data if they really want it.

My two cents worth.

Shawn Grover