I am rather new at CF and am trying to decide how to go about manipulating sets of
records in a database.

1)Use cached queries
-- OR --
2)Build an array.

My dilemma goes like this...

- A user Queries the database and gets a set of say 50 to 100 records in a list. On of
the fields retrieved is the SEQUENCE of the record in the list.
- Next the user both inserts new items into and deletes current items from this list
until they are satisfied with the contents of the list.

I can update the database on each insert or deletion, modifying many records to update
the SEQUENCE value of the records. (An obvious Downside is lots of database activity)

-- OR --

My most current thinking is that stuffing the Query into an Array would be a good
idea... Then I could manipulate the Array, inserting and deleting rows until a time
where the user would commit the Array. (An obvious Downside is loss of all work done
in the session if the App/OrSomethingElse crashes.)

Is this an acceptable practice?

Are there techniques?

What's the view from the Brainiacs on this list?