From: Alex Santantonio [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Thursday, October 04, 2001 10:22 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: Storing Credit Cards

If you must store credit card info, it might be a good idea to follow some
of these steps in addition to the typical Secure Certificate and so on.  You
should absolutely encrypt them using PGP or some other type of encryption.
I have used CF_PGP on several clients and it works quite well.  You could
probably use some sort of ASP PGP COM object with CF instead of paying the
$400 for CF_PGP.  In addition to this, you can also create an automated
process that will transfer the card numbers from the live database to
another database that is not accessible through the site in any way.  Then
write the good old xx*****xxxx to the live database for future management.
Then you can transfer your billing software that you write to actually
charge the cards on the schedule behind this secure section so only people
within the office or from a certain IP address can process cards.  This will
at least make it much more difficult to get at this data, and if your
database is hacked or stolen from your live site, the only cards that might
even be in there would be the ones that were not yet transferred, and those
would be encrypted in PGP so it would take someone a good deal of time to
get at it that way.  So in short.

1. Store credit cards PGP encrypted in the database
2. Transfer on a schedule and store them in a separate Database with the
info on the live database overwritten
3. Move billing management behind a firewall or some server that is no way
accessible to the outside.

This should at least minimize your risk a bit.

Alex Santantonio
Lead Developer
Macromedia Coldfusion 5 Certified Professional
Macromedia Certified Web Site Developer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]
www.doceus.com