I'll second the motion on the web monkey tutorial.

http://hotwired.lycos.com/webmonkey/99/49/index4a.html

A couple of years ago, for our e-commerce site we had no choice but to build
one.  A standard out of the box shopping cart was nowhere near equipped for
the extras that we were going to need.. That tutorial help us lay the ground
work and learn the in's and outs of what we needed to do...

Jeff