I'd suggest the following

<frameset>
  <visible frame> This displays "Your report is being
generated". It contains javascript that reloads itself
every 15 seconds and checks to see whether a variable
session.reportDone EQ TRUE. If yes, it returns the
contents of session.reportResults
  <hidden frame> this calls your report.cfm page.
report.cfm starts by setting session.reportDone=FALSE.
When it finishes, it writes its output into a variable
session.reportResults and sets session.reportDone=TRUE
(Make sure you write to reportResults before you write
to reportDone)
</frameset>

--- Aidan Whitehall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
wrote:
> I'm trying to trigger a ColdFusion template that
> generates a report in the
> background. I want to start the process and then
> redirect the browser to a
> "your report is being created" page. Try as I might,
> I can't get the report
> started without the browser being forced to wait at
> some point for the
> report to be finished.
>
> The report generation needs to be triggered
> on-demand. Updating a CFSCHEDULE
> and then running it straight away doesn't seem to
> work (I guess because it
> must be set at least 15 minutes in the future).
>
> Calling the report making template via CFHTTP before
> using CFLOCATION
> doesn't work, as the page sits there until the
> report is finished before
> redirecting.
>
> Using CFHTTP at the end of the "your report is being
> created" also makes
> that page take forever to be rendered. If I was
> using CF5, I guess I could
> CFFLUSH the page before doing CFHTTP last, but we're
> stuck with v4.0.1.
>
> I can't call CFML.EXE via a URL and CFEXECUTE is
> only 4.5+.
>

> Any ideas? I've run out...
>
> Thanks.
>
> --
> Aidan Whitehall <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> Macromedia ColdFusion Developer
> Fairbanks Environmental +44 (0)1695 51775

=====
I-Lin Kuo
Macromedia CF5 Advanced Developer
Sun Certified Java 2 Programmer