Chad,

> > i have a csv file. Here is an example. (it is taken from messages
> > stored on
> > a phone).
> > 1,status,"","[EMAIL PROTECTED]","here is a messagemessage", 2001/10/16
(Tue)
> > 19:34,status
> > "",status,"","[EMAIL PROTECTED]","here is a messagemessage",
> > 2001/10/16 (Tue)
> > 19:34,status
> >

> > anyhelp would be really appreciated.

Can you change the delimiters that are being used to output this file?

Having done a substantial amount of work with newspaper content output from
Quark pages.  I found that about the only way to deal with the unknowns that
you'll have in your message text is to change the delimiters to something
that you are highly unlikely to find in the text.  For me these delimiters
eventually became, and have been ever since, | (pipe) for column/field
delimiters and ¬ (chr(172)) for text delimiters.  Once you have sensible
delimiters then the whole task becomes infinitely easier to handle. (400+
news stories plus images processed from Quark pages, inserted into a text
retrieval database, additional information added to _every_ story and
imported into a website in the space of approximately 1.5hours, a minimum of
twice a day :o) )

If you can't change the delimiters, can you get all the other fields
surrounded by " (double quotes) as well?  (Especially as you have text in
your date/times and text status fields)
If you can do that, then you have a better idea of the column breaks,
because you are unlikely to get "," in the middle of your message text.

> Have you tried using the Text ODBC driver?
>
> It usually opens the files as normal CSVs and you don't have to worry
about
> using CFFile (or CSX_ tags) as you can use it as a datasource

Ewww.. Phil!  You sick puppy! ;o)

Regards

Stephen