I had this exact problem once.

Only solution I could find was to write a routine something along the
lines of
- create a new column with a temp name (with desired new size)
- copy data from old col to new col
- delete old col
- rename new col to proper name
- recreate indexes etc.

I can't remember if you can rename columns.  If you can't, you have to
create an intermediate column and do two copies in between deletes.

In any case I recall it was a bit of a pain!