I have been using DW since version 1, and before that I have been coding
HTML by hand, and I still do (with Studio, which really could be
considered a crutch since it helps you along the way with tag insight
and all). Anyway, I have discovered UD, especially version 4 which I
just bought to be very handy. Like the ASP developer and Interdev,
Ultradev serves a good purpose. Although I can lay out tables by hand,
what is the point when you have a good tool that pretty much does the
work for you? And as far as layering goes, have fun doing it by hand as
well. It can and is done, but I prefer to use UD for that. And the CF
integration is great. I tried Netobjects Fusion and totally thought it
was a waste of time and money (glad I did not buy it, some other poor
schlep did and he just let me try it out).
And as far as the link in Studio, I like it because I do not have to go
to the task bar, click on UD, then browse to the folder that has the
file I want to edit. Just click and it is there in seconds.
As Ben Forta said some time ago in CFDJ, you have to pick the right web
tool (CF, ASP, Java, PHP, etc... for the current project, so goes your
editing tools. Use the right tool for the job.
Why go to the icehouse to fill the icebox when you have electricity in
your house and you can plug in a refrigerator. Why use Notepad just
because it is free when there are great tools out there to use that can
speed up development time? For just pure coding CF, studio is the way to
go. For doing the more mundane stuff like page design, use UD or your
preferred WYSIWYG tool (except for FrontPage).

IMHO that is.