No, you don't need lb/failover services of Enterprise with a hardware load
balancer...

At my last big site we used a Foundry lb with several webservers. If you
use session variables, be sure to use the datasource method rather than
registry - this was a user can pass from machine to machine without issue.

We setup each machine to mount a shared webroot from a fileserver, so that
there were no code "distribution" issues, all machines used the same
webroot. Also, each machine was addressable at its own unique hostname,
but since the load balancer answered as "www", we were able to use the
same ssl certificate (www.domain.com) on each machine with error (unless
you hit it with its hostname specifically).