> My boss just asked me for a list of pros and cons.  I want to show him
that
> CF is superior to ASP, but I don't know ASP.  If you guys could help with
my
> list I'd appreciate it.

I will add to this by saying that I am a CF programmer at heart, but I am
presently working on an ASP application. Cold Fusion is faster, easier, and
probably more scalable to use, yes, no doubt about it. But it does effect
you as a developer by hiding the real guts of what's happening.

You can be the world's greatest CF programmer, but if that's all you know,
then you are severely limited in the services you can provide. I would even
go as far to say that you're not *really* even a programmer. You are just a
glorified software operator. (I am using 'you' collectively and not singling
you out. It applies to all of us.)

Programming, in any language involves two key concepts: logic and syntax.
Cold Fusion will teach you logic. But it does not teach you syntax. From
that perspective, Cold Fusion tricks you into thinking you are a master
programmer.

I jump at the chance to program in ASP or JSP simply because it improves my
own personal skills and, in turn, my marketability. I think of it as paid
training. Yes, I bitch (to myself) the whole way through about how much
easier it is with CF. But in the end, I am versatile. If the platform
decision falls on my shoulders, then I recommend CF for all the reasons
everyone else will tell you. But if someone else makes the decision, I am
prepared. I guess in the end, it depends on what your own personal and
professional goals are. But I personally, don't want to be bound by any one
development platform.

FWIW,
Steve