Don,

What version of CF are you running? If I remember correctly, there used to
be some major problems with cfhttp in cf4.01 (possibly even up to cf4.51).
In particular these problems were occurring when using cfhttp over https -
which I've noticed is your scenario.

Just thinking aloud here now but....

Have you thought of reproducing the login form (along with the js onload
event handler) on your server. cfhttp to that page in order to actually
login...then do another cfhttp to the actual form you really want to post?

HTH
Dave