It is so funny to see this discussion keep cropping up.  The whole
blacklisting of open relays is a very touchy issue.  I agree that there is
little excuse for running an open relay in today's world (though some argue
that it is their right... I think this was an issue in MIT vs. MAPS).  I
will not agree however that running one makes you ignorant.  I have been
blacklisted and not notified.  The blacklist claims that it is not their
responsibility to let me know that I was listed.  Turns out that the mail
server we were using (post.office) has few bugs (or holes) in it's relay
filtering and that the only way to prevent it from being used as an open
relay is to IP restrict who can connect.  This is contrary to the
documentation.  I only found out about this because a users mail was being
rejected and I was able to get a copy of the test that had failed and
confirm the bug.  This information in hand I resolved it.  It have been nice
to know I had failed though so that it could have been resolved sooner, this
would have been even more effective than blocking me.

MAPS has basically been put out of business by getting sued over this issue
(I think it was the legal costs though, not the settlements that killed
them).  It will probably not be long before the others follow suit (no pun
intended).  The Internet is a collection of private networks and it is
within the rights of the owner of every single network to decide who may and
may not pass traffic across their backbone, so if they want to subscribe to
an ORB, it is their right, however you block someone with deep pockets and
you are in for an expensive fight, right or not.

my $.002