If performance is not an issue, but developer maintenance is, I have been
using a combination of the two.

We manage the files/directories in CF, pass the filespec and parameters to
perl using CFHTTP, do all the string manipulation in Perl, then pass back
the results as XML which CF parses and puts away in the DB. (The perl can
also save to .xml for file-based storage)

The reason for this is the data manipulation is fairly straight forward in
Perl (the code was a legacy Perl site) and I'm the only Perl guy here.

And we have 4 CF programmers, who can handle all the front end, file
manipulation and database calls in Cold Fusion, but shiver at the thought
of Perl.

It doesn't have to be all one or the other.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 12/28/01 02:59PM >>>
> Okay, I'm convinced! Any suggestions then for a general-purpose
> language that I could run on my desktop for text/file
> processing and database connectivity? I like PERL, but I
> am still at the level where I always have to grab a book
> to look up syntax, as its syntax doesn't render itself to
> quick memorization, in my opinion. Thanks!

Well, I've never been a fan of Perl, personally, but I'm willing to chalk
that up to my failings, rather than issues with Perl itself. You might
take
a look at Python (http://www.python.org/) - it's a scripting language,
like
Perl, but I find it to have a clearer structure and approach. (Not that
I'm
a great Python programmer or anything.) In the same vein, a lot of people
like Ruby (http://www.ruby-lang.org/), which is a fully object-oriented
scripting language. I've never used it myself, though.

On the other hand, with any language, there's going to be a learning
curve,
and it just so happens that this curve will likely be greater with any one
you choose that with CF.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496