Thanks Len for your suggestion

We will still use ArcIMS accessed via a password area for community groups
to change their maps. This will be hosted elsewhere. ESRI has been helping
us out so would be a bit opportunist to "jump ship".

The maps will be batch generated and stored as static jpeg files accessed
via the coldfusion site for general public to look at or download.

Cheers
Mike
--------------------
Len Conrad <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
----------------------
>NZERN (a volunteer non-profit environmental group) needs to display several
>thousand maps as jpg files on a coldfusion site. The users need to be able
>to move from one map to the next by up/down left/right nav keys. Also zoom
>in/out. Anyone got any insites into how to approach this task.

We have a solution dynamic mapping for Coldfusion using MapInfo as a
dynamic map generator. the maps are gifs drawn in real time. zoom in/out,
pan, find nearest, populate the map with various POI, etc, etc. it's of
course an OEM tool need integration with your specific maps.

>Our development box is win2000, access 2000, IIS 5, CF which matches our
>hosting ISP. The database will move over to SQL7 mid year.

as you must know, access sucks at any volume. I doubt the rate of queries
to support our dynamic mapping solution will be supported by Access.

>ESRI/Eagle Technology donated ArcView for producing the maps. ARCIMS Server
>is an option but it requires high bandwidth and IE5. We need a simpler
>solution to cater for conservationists with old browsers/pcs and slow
>modems.

For our CF MapInfo dynamic GIS, you'd need MapInfo MapxSite license, plus
our stuff. not cheap.

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.4 for NT4 & W2K