I usually do stuff like that in hidden form fields for two reasons. One,
because it gets wacky with escape chars and stuff, not just for cf but js,
uri's and other languages. And two because it's a _little_ less hack
friendly.

In general when passing strings over url's I use urlencodedformat function.

Good luck,

Alexander Sicular
Chief Technology Architect
Neurological Institute of New York