I have a question about file uploads in ColdFusion. I built a Content
Management System for a college that allows the entire staff to go to a
secure administration area and update various sections of the website that
they're authorized to edit.  This includes the ability to add files (movies,
documents, graphics, etc.) to a unique folder that is created when their
user account is setup.

Anyway, I'm using a standard form to get the files from their computer, and
I'm processing it with CFFILE.  The question is, what if someone tries to
upload an 80MB file for example, could this cause their thread in ColdFusion
to timeout, or cause the web server to choke, etc.  I'm worried that
allowing hundreds of users to upload anything they want, could create some
major problems (10 users uploading 10MB files at the same time for example).

Has anyone had any problems with this?  I think it could mostly be solved by
not allowing certain file uploads that are beyond a certain size (like 2MB).
And on the chance they need to upload something bigger, they'll just have to
physically give it to an administrator to place on the server.  I just don't
know how to stop them from uploading a file too large (java applet?). Having
users ftp files would almost defeat the purpose of having such a slick CMS.

Also, the website will be getting heavy traffic as well (website is for a
college), and all this on a single Win2k machine (PIII 700 with 500MB ram)
with SQLServer2k, and CF5.

Any help would be most appreciated!

Cody