In general Content Management as it applies to the refers to a system that

people use to add/edit/delete all of the content on their site.

Content can be as simple or complex as the users/developers/clients
 determine.

It its most simple for an automated content management system would allow a

person to edit part of the text on a page in a site. It is most complex
form it would be broken down into different function, some of which could
only be performed by certain people with access.

It would allow people to edit content in almost any format, including PDF,

Word, Visio etc.

It would allow people to determine who should have access to what content.

To sum it all up. A way for one party to manage what other parties can see.