Hello,

Several of our web pages run queries at DB2. A caching mechanism was built
long ago (CF 3.1 era) to reduce the number of threads into DB2. I don't
think anyone's concerned about DB2's ability to process the requests - it's
getting to DB2 that causes the bottleneck (10 megabit, different subnets,
etc). The data in question is updated once nightly. Since this caching
mechanism was built long ago, I was wondering if today there was a better
way to do what were doing, which is the following:

In order to initially cache the web page, two variables are intially
captured and inserted into an MS Access database (I know, I know). Those
variables are Query and Params. The Query variable contains the page path
and name, i.e. /Expert/Revenue/qryGetTotalRev.cfm, and the Params variable
contains the name/value pairs, i.e.
Control=#Control#&Reset=Y&GroupBy=#GroupBy#&SortName=Yes.

Once the new record is inserted into this database, CFX_HTTPGET is used to
create the page, display it for the user (just as a browser would), and also
file it as a html page into a file folder with a unique name.

The next time this page is hit, a query is run on the MS Access database to
see if the page has been cached, and if so, looks up which html page
contains the data so that next user that visits will see the cached html
page, rather than hitting db2 to get the data. That cached html page is then
served to the user using a cfinclude.

I see this solution as having at least two problems. First, we're still
hitting a database (an Access one at that), and second, it adds another
layer of complexity - maintaining that Access database. I've since tried to
cache all the queries into memory using CFIDE, but when I limit the maximum
number of cached queries to 500, the cache only lasts about 20 minutes.
We've got a Gig of memory on that box, so I'm thinking of increasing this
number ten fold to see what happens. Thoughts?

After doing some research, increasing the cached queries seems to be the
only viable alternative. Any other ideas on how to approach this would be
greatly appreciated. I've not yet done a direct comparison of the processing
time of the db2 queried pages vs the Access pages, but I'm preparing to do
just that.

Thanks!
Andrew Peterson