actually i have seen large files or large multi-file set uploads cause
coldfusion to go right to 100% CPU usage.  usually after 15 minutes or
so
you'll get a winnt error returned about "unable to write file" or some
other
bs.  our machines usually start hating around 40 megs using cf and
apache.
sometimes less using cf and iis.  the truth is that CFFILE uploads, at
least
on windows boxes, are very poor performance and are not a good choice
for
large volume file-upload applications.  there is actually nothing you
can do
about it except weep and then implement your user file-uploads some
other
way (like through asp, or java).  maybe cf5 handles it better; i dunno.
maybe if macromedia came out with their own webserver they could fix
it.  we
use software artisans 'sa-fileup' to handle our file uploads in large
volumes in excess of 200 megs with no problem.  you can even build a
progress meter and stuff.  of course you'll need to use asp or some
other
com-integrated platform to use sa-fileup.

http://www.softwareartisans.com/softartisans/saf.html

brendan avery 2.0 - [EMAIL PROTECTED]
310.779.2211 - santa monica, california