if you switch between two different <cfapplication> tags, you can
effectively go back and forth between multiple sets of session and
application variables within the same request, allowing you to pull in
some
values from one app into another, like if you have an application.dsn
that
you want to use from one app in another related/sub-app.

<cfapplication name="app1">
<cfset getdsn1=application.dsn>

<cfapplication name="app2">
<cfset getdsn2=application.dsn>

<cfapplication name="app3">
<cfset getdsn3=application.dsn>

hurrah. now you have all three dsn or whatever.