Chris:

I just stumbled upon your thread about "identities" sharing. We have
*EXACTLY* the same problem here, we run a CF-based forum application for
  maybe 1000-2000 users that are usually within the same company network
and we have occasionally reports for mixed identities. Usually they
happen when people post a message to a thread - they click "POST", it is
stored correctly in the DB but as soon as the next page loads they seem
to be a different user that is using the system as the same time.

We have all the things you mentioned in place - session variables
strictly locked, etc. but never figured it out. Of course, the incidence
of these problems is not that high and the priority is still relatively low.

What makes you think that proxies/firewalls are the reason this might be
happening? Can you share more information on what you've discovered so far?

Let me know if I can help with something in resolving this.

Thanks,
Dimo