Sorry, sloppy use of words. I once had a problem with dying session
variables and found that NS was showing a new set of cookies. Apparently
when the reference changes, NS does not see it as being in the same
domain and does not send the cookies it set for the previous page. CF
sees the page request from a "new" user and sets new cookies for a new
session. A session for which session variables have not been set.

  Example: If you came to www.mydomain.com, one set of cookies would be
set. But let's say you follow a link to another page on the server
through a link that had http://mydomain.com. You would get a new set of
cookies and a new session assigned to you.