It's not encryption (it can't be decrypted, as I understand). There is no k
ey, it's a one-way mathematical function.  Anybody can use it, and will get
 the same result with the same input. I suppose it could be brute-force att
acked, but haven't heard of any successes ... perhaps because it's not desi
gned to be decrypted.

It's used to "exchange" keys without actually sending keys over communicati
on lines during the initial handshake to set up SSL, for example.

best,
Chris Norloff

from: "Andrew Scott" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
date: Wed, 20 Feb 2002 02:24:26 +1100