One last item for discussion.  Consider the following code example.  It
creates a totally random, one hundred thousand character string.  It then
runs this through CF's MD5 hash engine.  The resulting hash is 32 characters
long.  The resulting hash is always 32 characters long, no matter how much
text you pass in.  That's a hash - a one way mathematical algorithm that
produces a pretty darn unique output.  If it were simply reversible, we
would also have the worlds best compression tool on our hands.

<CFSET x = '' >
<CFLOOP INDEX="i" FROM="1" TO="100000">
<CFSET x = x & Chr(RandRange(33,122)) >
</CFLOOP>
<CFOUTPUT>hash: #hash(x)#<HR>text: #x#</CFOUTPUT>

Brute forcing this 100,000 character string would take a very very very long
time.  It's likely though, that there is a shorter string which will produce
the same results, so you might not actually have to discover the 100,000
character string in order to decrypt it.  I am no cryptologist, but this may
be what the RSA quoted below refers to as a "collision".

How likely are collisions?  Assuming that MD5 uses a 36 character set (it
appears to) for it's output, and it's 32 characters long, that would be a
maximum of 36^32 (6.3340286662973277706162286946812e+49 per my windows calc)
possible hash values you'd have to run through before your brute force
attack would work.  This also assumes of course that you didn't run into a
few billion other collisions first.

More about the definition of "hash":
http://www.rsasecurity.com/rsalabs/faq/2-1-6.html

-Cameron

Cameron Childress
elliptIQ Inc.
p.770.460.1035.232
f.770.460.0963
--
http://www.neighborware.com
America's Leading Community Network Software