Thanks for your post Michael.  I'm sorry but I haven't seen your list of
resources before, and I'll check them out over the next few days.  (I
sometimes get as many as 800 messages a day and I can't read everything on
this list under those conditions)

I have to tell you I am really struggling with Flash, but I'll crash through
sooner or later.   For example yesterday I went to flashkit.com and I can
see there is a lot of interesting material there.   I looked at one
tutorial, and downloaded the example code to go through the tutorial as I
read it, and the zip file didn't have a .fla file inside. So the tutorial
was useless.

I looked at another, and it missed out 3 steps, rushing over some other
steps.   No problem I suppose for the person who wrote it, or for advanced
users, but I spent over an hour trying to figure out how to put a piece of
code on a button.

I couldn't see where to put it, and couldn't get the code window to open.
People who have done a few of these things will know how to do it.  But I
deliberately chose a tutorial there that was labelled for BEGINNERS.   For
me, learning from the very start,  this simple thing was extremely
frustrating.  I was screaming at the author that he spent 2 paragraphs
explaining how to open a file, but totally missed these steps.  The total
text for getting the code onto this button was "Put this code on your button
..."

What I find really confusing when I'm using flash is there are so many
dialogue boxes, that I take ages to find things.  I can never seem to be
able to find things in the same place twice.  It's not helped I suppose that
the dialogs change depending on what kind of object is opening them, and
what the circumstances are at the time.  I know the problem is mine, that I
have to just learn where everything is, but its taking much much longer than
it took to get something productive happening in coldfusion, and a whole
order of magnitude longer than learning Photoshop or Illustrator or
Fireworks or Dreamweaver.

Anyway, I really value the advice and help of the people on this list, and
Michael's list of sites looks to be well worth checking out.   Thank you
Michael.

Cheers,
Mike Kear
Windsor, NSW, Australia