David,

That's a great analogy! I'm going to save it.

But of course the client being discussed will not understand how that
analogy relates to her present situation. She'll be deaf to its meaning and
will have totally forgotten that she said "this feature was not important
and that scenario doesn't really apply to what we want" when the project was
originally quoted, even if it is right there in front of her in writing.

This is just a tough thing to deal with. It's not just a web development
business disease. These negotiations go on in every business. It's really
difficult to lose a customer and deal with the negative comments that will
propagate, but if one customer is consuming a great deal of your business
resources, you risk losing a greater number of customers.

Ask yourself if you made a mistake when reviewing the project. Then do the
right thing for you, your customer and all of your other customers. Then get
ready to live with your decision.

Greg Alton
CFDev