Don't forget this one:  Don't ever stage the code on your customer's server,
lest you get into a "possession is 9/10ths of the law trap".

-----Original Message-----
From: Jerry Johnson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, March 18, 2002 7:57 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: OT: Advice and opinion on client who has a problem paying
bills

To push it a little farther, I go 50% to start and 50% on delivery on
contracting jobs.

And I normally bid the work so that the first 50% covers my costs. So
(almost inevitably) as the second half payment drags on, I don't care so
much.

If you manage expectations, and clearly define maintenance vs enhancement
work, clients usually pay off in the end.

And the few that don't typically treat all their vendors that way.  A little
bit of Chamber of Commerce discussion can save you lots of legal fees.

And remember, you can always back out any changes the client hasn't paid for
if you keep good records and use some form of version control.

Jerry Johnson

>>> [EMAIL PROTECTED] 03/17/02 01:03PM >>>
Very true.  Almost every client over the years has not blinked at a retainer
fee to start the work.  We go the route of designers:  33 down, 33
acceptance of mock, 33 upon delivery to server...or it doesn't go live.  The
only ones we have had complain were the ones who would try to take us for a
ride.

Regards,

Eric J. Hoffman
Director of Internet Development