Matthew R. Small wrote:

> Wouldn't it would run much faster that way than both the individual sets
> of cflocks that you've portrayed and the reality which is sets of locks
> around blocks of session accesses? As far as readonly or exclusive goes,
> then shouldn't the complier be able to distinguish the two?

I think it can, but it will tend to overuse on the exclusive locks. And
if you are writing a 3 MB WDDX packet from the session scope to a NFS
share you don't want it to be in a block that is locked exclusively
because one out of the X other operations is a write which requires an
exclusive lock.

Never forget a computer is a stupid machine. It doesn't know squat about
your application. It doesn't know which shared scopes writes are fast or
slow, which shared scope reads(!) are fast or slow, which intermediate
operations are fast or slow. You do. You can group these operations
together in blocks that require/can use the same type of lock. So you
should decide how to lock.

Jochem