> > Dave - 250$ an hour? send them to us, we'll work for
> > half that <g>.
>
> Maybe it's $250 an hour because they can do so same work (or
> better) in less than half the time?  Just a thought.

Close, perhaps, but more like "because we fix the work after your original
consultant screwed up, and you don't have time to wait to get it fixed."

But, as much as it's nice to be able to charge rates like that, I'd prefer
to charge our normal rates - about half that - to develop something right
the first time. It's no fun slaving over someone else's bad code in a rush,
trying to figure out the application logic and fix it as quickly as
possible. You'd think Fusebox would help here, but in my experience,
badly-written Fusebox code isn't any easier to figure out than badly-written
non-Fusebox code, and if it were well-written in the first place, I wouldn't
be there.

And lately, the common problems seem to be:

1) locking issues, edging out the historic #1 contender,
2) bad SQL usage, followed by
3) bad data schema design, and trailing that,
4) poor use of runtime processing (doing things at runtime that could be
cached, or done at off-peak times)

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496