> Within my index.cfm or application.cfm file I want to check if this is the
> first time that the index.cfm file is loaded. If so, do something otherwise
> do nothing.

The first time loaded at all?  The first time loaded for that user's session?  The
first time loaded for that user ever?

Depending on your definition of "the first time" you can choose the correct variable
scope to set to prevent the code from running again.

First time loaded at all: Set an application scope variable
First time for that user's: Set a session scope variable
First time for that user ever?: Set a cookie that never expires.

The concept is the same.  If the index.cfm doesn't find that variable, it runs the
code, otherwise it skips it.

HTH!

Sharon