From: Dave Watts [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 7:15 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: CF Feature Request - Ability to run CF app on PPC

> It would be really great if I can run a CF application on the
> PocketPC (PPC).  I would even be happy if they compiled CF
> 1.0 for this platform.
>
> If Microsoft has a SQL client and coming up with asp
> solutions for it, what is stopping MM from doing the same?  I
> commend them for getting flash out on the device and I am
> hoping they will put their other products on the market.
>
> I think we all agree by now that the desktop PC is only one
> of many clients within the enterprise.

While this would be kind of cute, it's well outside of the market that
MM is
after.

For what it's worth, I'm doing a little bit of PocketPC development,
building web-service-enabled clients with eMbedded Visual Basic 3, and
even
"server-side" applications using the cut-down version of IIS and ASP
provided in the PocketPC 2002 SDK. However, while you can build ASP
applications with limited functionality (including database access using
SQL
Server CE via ADOCE), this functionality isn't designed for building
"real"
web applications. These things are primarily for managing embedded
devices;
for example, if you got a WindowsCE-powered toaster, you could give it
an IP
address and manage it with a custom HTTP interface. To my knowledge,
there
are no WindowsCE devices out there that can support more than one or two
concurrent users.

I would be kind of surprised if Macromedia has the kind of resources
available to divert them to work on clearly niche projects like this.
I'd
prefer that they focus on their core product. Microsoft has the
resources to
divert to these niches; if Macromedia did that, they'd be out of
business in
a year.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/