OK, this is my last attempt to post this response!
.

I just encountered this myself, here is my solution...

The onchange() trigger in the select box calls a function that looks
something like this:

function checkField( theBox ){
        boxVal = theBox.options[theBox.selectedIndex].value;
        if( boxVal == 1 ){
                field1.disabled = false;
                field2.disabled = true;
                field2.value = "Not Required";
                field3.disabled = true;
                field3.value = "Not Required";
        }
}

that only works in IE, so you must also add an onFocus() trigger to each
input field that calls a function that looks something like this to
accomodate Netscape:

function fieldFocus( theBox, theField ){
        boxVal = theBox.options[theBox.selectedIndex].value;
        [if this is not a required...]
                theField.blur();
}

Beware - I've heard that IE6 changed onFocus() and onBlur() to onFocusIn()
and onFocusOut(), but I haven't tried it yet...

Bryan Love
  Macromedia Certified Professional
  Internet Application Developer
  Database Analyst
Telecommunication Systems
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

"...'If there must be trouble, let it be in my day, that my child may have
peace'..."
        - Thomas Paine, The American Crisis