Dirk: I've tried several things.  The setup I eventually settled on was half
on delivery (basically, when they can start using it), and half after a
given time period. I NEVER upload or deliver code/graphics without at least
some payment at time of delivery.  What I have found is that 90% of my
clients think (or appear to think based upon actions), that the Internet,
and their web development/hosting, is a non-essential expense. And that
cutting checks for such work seems to come last on their list, even if they
are heavily dependent on their websites for income or important operational
data, etc.  I don't understand this attitude towards the Internet, hopefully
it's just localized and that the rest of you aren't experiencing this.

What I've also found is that even if I have a contract, that if I deliver
without pay, I will go 6 months or more before I see a check. So I have to
get at least some out of them on delivery.  No one will give me COD terms.
Everyone seems hessitant on this. They say they are scared that if they pay
all of it on delivery I will disappear and I won't support my product.  I
guess application developers have a bad reputation for this in these parts
for pulling disappearing acts. Again, I don't understand it, but it's the
general feeling amongst my prospect / customer pool, so I have to adjust.

So I am nervous that they will never pay, and they are nervous that if they
pay, I will magically stop taking their phone calls. So we meet in the
middle.

I would be curious what people in the rest of the States and around the
world have experienced in prospect / customer attititudes lately.  Are large
companies behaving differently than small companies?

This could be an interesting thread.

Good luck.

Nick
[EMAIL PROTECTED]