> i will have to take your word for it since i have probably
> never use cfquery param, nor intend to. i personally always
> use stored procedures and i do all of my validation myself.
> if cfqueryparam works for you, then use it and god bless. i
> have been taught differently and personally i don't think i
> would trust it.

The validation done by creating a prepared statement is, as far as I can
tell, identical to that done within a stored procedure. When you use
CFQUERYPARAM, you're creating a prepared statement; the CFQUERYPARAM itself
is what you might call a "bound parameter" to that statement.

In any case, never say never, as you may not be able to guarantee that
you'll always have the freedom to dictate whether you'll use stored
procedures. You may, for example, work against a database in which you don't
have rights to create stored procedures, or you may work against a database
that doesn't support the use of stored procedures. At that time, you'll need
to deal with validation elsewhere.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496