From: Paul Giesenhagen [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Monday, April 15, 2002 10:08 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: Listing out departments (again)

I have to ask this one again .. I asked this question late Friday and didn't
get any answers that actually fit my situation.  I will try to have this
question make sense.

I am trying to build an OUTPUT that would look like this:

Fishing
Fishing/Rods/Baitcast
Fishing/Rods/Baitcast/Special Bait Cast Rods/...
Fishing/Rods/Baitcast/Not so Special Rods/...
Fishing/Rods/Spinning
Fishing/Reels/BaitCast
Fishing/Reels/Spinning
Fishing/Line
Camping
Camping/Tents
Camping/Stoves/Big Stoves
Camping/Stoves/Little Stoves
Camping/Sleeping Bags
Marine/ ect...

Ok as you can see, we have 3 main departments (actually more, but for
example we will go with whats above), and multiple departments (unlimited
depth) that are below each department.

My table structure is this:
ID = Identifying id
OWNER = Parent
SUB_OBJECT = Child
(Example: Owner=FISHING and SUB_OBJECT=RODS ..then OWNER=RODS and
SUB_OBJECT=BAITCAST)

As you can see, parents can be children and children can become parents.  I
am inserting NAMES instead of ID values that are in the actual table (makes
it more readable for this message).  Each Owner/Sub_object is an ID Value
that relates to another table called departments.  As you can see,
sub_objects end up becoming OWNERs with sub_objects below them.  So parents
can be children and children can become parents.

Table Setup

ID    |    OWNER    |     SUB_OBJECT
1        Index                Fishing
2        Index                Camping
3        Index                Marine
4        Fishing              Rods
5       Fishing              Reels
6       Fishing              Line
7        Rods                Baitcast
8        Baitcast            Special Baitcast Rods
9        Biatcast            Not so Special Rods
10        Rods                Spinning
11        Reels                Baitcast
12        Reels                Spinning
13      Camping            Tents
14      Camping            Stoves
15      Camping            Sleeping Bags
16      Stoves                Big Stoves
17      Stoves                Little Stoves
18........

I know the INDEX value and each of my Index Sub_objects are my main
catagories, and want wind down through all the departments and build a
recursive list that starts with main catagory and build a
"catagory/sub_dept/sub_dept/sub_dept ect...

I know this is alittle loong and I appologize .. but I am dumbfounded and
keep "looping" myself into nowhere, trying to get the output as it is above.

Anyhelp with the SQL and CF Syntax is greatly appreciated!

At this point, I am not looking for performance :) just a solution!

Comon' I know that there is a supermind that can help me!!

Thank you
Paul Giesenhagen
QuillDesign
http://www.quilldesign.com