CFX_IMAGE  will do what you want, and a lot more.

not sure where you get it at the moment (look in this list's archive, it
will be there somewhere) but the latest version (1.4 I think) is thread
safe.

I have two very busy apps using it practically every page impression;
fast with no problems.

Note the help file - if you can call it that - is hopeless.  The earlier
version of it; CFX_GIFGD is not thread safe and has other problems but
has a much better help file to get you going and the basic syntax is the
same (CFX_IMAGE is much more versatile)