CFINCLUDE always looks from where the including template is, not where
the base template is.  Therefore if you have a call to your error.cfm
from one of your child templates then likely the path in your CFINCLUDE
will need to be ../error.cfm

If you want to use paths always from your base template in CFINCLUDE's
then you need to set up a mapped path.