> I need to set up a process where by a user will select
> (buy, really) a number of data files (songs, actually).
> These files will be downloaded onto the user machine
> where a client-side application will manipulate them
> further. As part of the process, we also need to generate
> a text that also must be transferred to the client machine.
>
> I can only two ways to handle this ... force the user to
> click multiple links to download each file, or run a
> server-side zip utility to zip everything up before
> shipping it off to the client machine.
>
> The programmer building the client-side application doesn't
> like this second option. He doesn't want to have to have
> the client machine unzip the file before doing what his
> program needs to do.
>
> Is there a way to batch all of the needed files together
> in a single download (using CF to do this) without
> zipping them together in any way?

Since I'm coming in at the end of this, and know more about it now than at
the beginning of the thread, I'd suggest that maybe you'd want to handle all
of this from within the custom client-side application - the purchase
process, the fetching of files, and so on. You could even make the
server-side interface a web service! That way, the end user wouldn't have to
run one app (their browser) to fetch the files, then have to remember where
the files are for the second app to do its work.

Of course, I suspect that the programmer building the client-side
application would like this option even less.

Dave Watts, CTO, Fig Leaf Software
http://www.figleaf.com/
voice: (202) 797-5496
fax: (202) 797-5444