> Does anyone know if PHP has good built-in email handling? How does it
> compare to CFMAIL?

How much volume are they looking at?

I'm not a PHP junkie, but I would assume there's more work involved with
sending mail from PHP than CF.  CFMAIL is fairly safe if used on a
low-volume basis in my experience.  There is a limit to the number of files
that can be in the queue, and zero-byte files can stop the queue from being
processed until manually removed (at least in 4.5- not sure about 5).

If doing high volumes of mail, use CFFILE to write directly to the pickup
directory of your SMTP server.  Microsoft's SMTP service that ships with IIS
is great for this if configured properly.  I have heard of people doing the
same thing with sendmail on linux.  This technique also should also work for
PHP, though I've never tried it.

-Justin Scott, Lead Developer
 Sceiron Internet Services, Inc.
 http://www.sceiron.com