I prefer mySQL for intranets.
Intranets, by definition, will be used by multiple people.
The largest problem with Access is its inability to handle multiple
concurrent users.

If you have fears of using mySQL and prefer the GUI of Access you can buy
myAccess for about $20.
It essentially allows developers unfamiliar with mySQL to create and work
in Access and then port it over to mySQL, data inclusive.

As personal opinion goes, I find mySQL to be the best suited DB for my needs.
You can directly telnet into the DB server from any remote location as long
as the sys admins have given you access.
It seems odd, but the mySQL community is very much like the CF community in
that they are always willing to help and consists of a lot of very
knowledgeable developers.  Can't beat the price either!

I've extensively used FoxPro, Access, MS SQL Server, Oracle, and MySQL.
Of those, I can only seriously recommend MS SQL, Oracle and MySQL for any
web application.
Of the 3 mySQL is a happy medium.  The learning curve and power is between
MS SQL and Oracle.
It lacks certain things such as subselects and transactions.  Sub-selects
are easily circumvented by using outer joins and due to the inherent speed
advantage it enjoys over MS SQL my informal tests show that outer joins are
faster on mySQL then sub-selects on SQL server.