We have this discussion, all the time ... And we've come down to what we
think is the best of both worlds ...

We allow usernames that are people's email addresses. Yes, it's a double
entry, but not everyone wants to use an email address as a username. I
hate to. I much prefer to use weberika. I always remember it .. And it's
rarely taken. (no wisenhimers now ;) ... )

However, if you want to use [EMAIL PROTECTED] to sign up to one of
our websites, why go right ahead ... It's up to the user anyway to keep
their info up to date.

We very rarely allow people to change their usernames once they are
chosen ... But will do if the customer requests this feature.

As for username/password retrieval .... All we ask for is an email
address. Easy enough ... Unless of course you forget your email address
that you used and we've never had that problem yet (knock on wood).

Either scenario still requires a DB check to ensure nobody enters
duplicate info/correct data, etc ... it just comes down to personal
style and business processes.

Erika