From: Joshua Tipton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2002 11:23 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: RE: DB Table Naming Conventions

MS says that only system stored procedures should start with sp becasue
when sql recieves a stored proc with sp_ it looks in the master system
stored procedures first then looks in the current database.  I doubt the
speed difference is that much but just a tidbit of my two cents.

Josh

<!--- Cut out of Books Online --->

Many of your administrative activities in MicrosoftR SQL ServerT are
performed through a special kind of procedure known as a system stored
procedure. System stored procedures are created and stored in the master
database and have the sp_ prefix. System stored procedures can be
executed from any database without having to qualify the stored
procedure name fully using the database name master.

It is strongly recommended that you do not create any stored procedures
using sp_ as a prefix. SQL Server always looks for stored procedures
beginning with sp_ in this order:

Look for the stored procedure in the master database first. Look for the
stored procedure based on any qualifiers provided (database name or
owner). Look for the stored procedure using dbo as the owner, if one is
not specified. Therefore, although the user-created stored procedure
prefixed with sp_ may exist in the current database, the master database
is always checked first, even if the stored procedure is qualified with
the database name.