> Oops.  Gulp.  (And other sounds of cringing terror.)
> Er...what's a regex library?

You're using the default regex library that's native to whatever version of
CF you're using... I've heard that the regex libraries in cfmx are better --
not having the 2000 character limitation and possibly faster and closer in
practice to PERL's interpretation of the syntax. There were some complaints
about regex in previous versions of CF server although I never had any
problems with it personally... You had to occasionally get creative if you
suspected there might be a chance the string would be over 2000
characters... and then you'd wonder "is my script going to chop something in
half that would otherwise be seen by the regex?" ... I'm not sure about
optimizations specifically -- I'm usually happy to have it working. :)
Though if you need to validate a short variable with exacting standards (
like a url, email address, etc ), it's certainly going to be a lot faster
than performing a bucket-full of other evaluations of length, data type,
etc... development time may be similar depending on your comfortability with
regex tho. :)

Isaac

www.turnkey.to
954-776-0046