I have written a component called Department that contains functions for
inserting, editing, deleting department information.

I have begun to write a component called Audit Trail that will be used to
log all of the user's actions.

Which would you do to implement the audit?  Lets assume that I am editing a
department...

1) In the calling page first call the department.edit() method of the
department component directly followed by the auditTrail.log() method of the
audit trail.
2) In the calling page call the department.edit() method of the department
component.  In the department component, in the edit method call the
auditTrail.log() method.

Of course keep in mind that I'm going to have to call the auditTrail
component every time an insert, edit or delete action is made... Is it
better / more oop (not that I know exactly when I'm respecting/violating the
rules of OOP as it is) to do number 1, 2 or is there some other option I
should be considering?

-Patti