The more I think about this, the more that I think my second
suggestion  (I.E. an auditTrail property of the department) may be the best
solution.  Unfortunately, the documentation is scarce when it comes to
properties and I have not done testing with component properties and how
they relate to methods of those components.
  Do you have any additional thoughts on this one Ray?