From: Matthew Fusfield [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Tuesday, July 16, 2002 11:05 AM
To: CF-Talk
Subject: SOT: Writing good manuals and help systems

Hi there,
Hoping to get a few opinions on this topic. Most of my company's CF work
thus far has been custom solutions, but recently we've developed some
apps that we can distribute as a product. (ie download and install on
top of CF server) One of the challenges we've uncovered is coming up
with a decent manual and help system. What we've found is that the
developers aren't always the best people to write the end-user manual -
often we'll come up with documentation that is too technical or ends up
being a step-by-step tutorial through the easiest tasks, never
addressing the more difficult tasks or "the big picture" of how and why
you'd use our product.

I've worked with firms before that have their own staff of technical
writers or outsource this sort of thing; just wanted to see if anyone
has any other thoughts on the topic.

Thanks,

Matt

Matthew I. Fusfield